Nov 29, 2007

Carbon Monoxide is good for you

And I can't wait for the flood of lawsuits that comes from that remark.

I'm trying to cram in a lungful of respiratory physiology because thanks to studying for immunology, I got woefully behind in the classes that can actually cause me to decel in favor of focusing attention on that one that can't. D'oh.

Apparently, when one wants to measure diffusion capacity in the lungs, in order to do it using oxygen, you'd have to stick someone's granny on a treadmill at 12,000 feet, when she ostensibly came in complaining of breathing difficulty, so instead you use carbon monoxide. Which is much healthier. It also causes students to quickly try and scribble down as much hardcore college-level math/applied physics as possible.

But it all worked out in the end because ha ha, the point of the nineteen pages of differential calculus was to illustrate that measuring diffusion has two different parts, a point I had about 15 minutes before my postcentral gyrus shot itself. Thanks for that.

Musical update: My neighbors with the obnoxious mutt that runs across the ceiling all day while someone with ADHD tosses a golf ball to it are currently listening to "My Immortal" by Evanescence. Sigh. At least it's a song I like.

On a completely unrelated note, the earplugs they sell at the bookstore are really good. Fairly comfortable. Ask me how I know that. Then ask me how I know what musical tastes my neighbors have.

No comments: