Aug 25, 2007

More on polar bears...

Which of course, are the #1 threat in the Caribbean.

A bit of advice... and you can trust me on this, because when I'm in the States, now that I'm a medical student, people treat me like I'm a Real Doctor(tm)...

If you're ever in the Arctic and kill a polar bear, after Greenpeace gets done with you, do NOT, and I can't emphasize this enough, undercook, and then eat it. And don't think freezing it will help (which seems to be done by nature of it being a polar bear in the first place), because it won't. Trichinella nativa can survive freezing, so if you eat undercooked polar bear (or arctic fox), you'll still get larval cysts in your muscles... if the polar bear you eat happens to have been affected, which considering there's like 20 of them left, I'm not sure what the odds on that would be.

So consider this a public service announcement from me through my parasitology class. Please... please don't let your children eat undercooked polar bear.



You're welcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or vice versa...

Anonymous said...

Aha! You must have seen my web page on Caribbean Polar Bears:

http://www.cardozohirsch.com/BEARS.htm