Oct 29, 2016

The end?

Well, I promised for years I wasn't ending the blog, but now I believe I am.

I passed the miserable cytopathology boards in miserable Tampa.  I am a triple boarded pathologist and so I shall remain for the next nine years until the maintenance of certification exam.

As of last Tuesday, my ACL has been repaired using my hamstring, and I'm beginning the road to recovery.  I'm up, walking, and cooking.  Granted, it's with a Frankenbrace, but it's a thing.

I love my job and colleagues.  I love my new city.  We're closing on our dream house in 32 days.  In January, it'll be time for a dog.

I'm married.  It's fun.  It's weird how nothing much changed.  I still have to self correct calling the hubby "my boyfriend".

So I feel like I've grown up here.  And it turns out, for all the twists and turns, a Caribbean MD was good enough for me and it's gotten me where I am, but there's not a whole lot more I can tell you about it.

When I got to Grenada, it was the 30th anniversary of the school.  Now it's the 40th.  The original graduates spoke of all the changes that had come about.  In their day, cattle and mosquitoes both frolicked freely in lecture tents, and meat was obtained through the "chicken man" who would slaughter a chicken for you.

In mine, there were grocery stores and a new-ish sushi and Italian place.  I'm certain the island has changed.  I'm certain the school and clinical rotations have changed.  Hopefully the tuition has gone down.

I don't have much to tell you all (though I suppose now it's "yinz" other than thank you so much for being with me through this journey.  I won't say "follow your dreams" because that's cheesy, unoriginal, and frequently leads to financial ruin, but sometimes it works out.  It did for me.

I'm playing with the idea of having a Steel City Transplant blog.  It would be recipes, travelogues, meal reviews, and the other minutia of day to day life found on any other blog.  Still not sure if I'll maintain it or if it's worth having.  Not asking for input, just not sure.

Goodbye and good luck.

Sincerely,

Dr. Ishie

12 comments:

Srav said...

Dr. Ishie,

Thanks so much for helping out scores of SGU newbies. Your blog honestly was a huge help when I was preparing to go down to Grenada and a big reason why I managed to survive those first few weeks of first term with my sanity relatively intact. Moving to a new country, let alone one down in the Caribbean to begin med school is all kinds of crazy but it always helped to know that there was someone above you who did it and survived. Thank you for always being honest and unfiltered and giving us a glimpse into the highs and not so-highs of your life at SGU and beyond. You were seriously such an irreplaceable source of advice and guidance, and even inspired me to start my own (now defunct) blog.

Best of luck to you as a triple-threat Pathologist and with life beyond Board exams!

Ishie said...

Thank you; that means the world to me!

BoaterDave said...

Ishie

I've only just noticed this! :-(

What do you mean by "you went down before you could go up".

For the record, I'm accusing you of NOTHING, nothing at all.

Please advise me,

David

ishie1013 said...

All right, let me clarify. Please leave me alone. I don't want you on my Facebook. Not now; not later. You opened with a racist shot at my husband, followed by attempting to squeeze me about annex people coupled with light cyberstalking, despite repeated requests to stop and ended with light insults. The only "bad guy" hanging around me is you. Leave me alone. Permanently.

BoaterDave said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog from the beginning since you left annexcafe, even though I have no connection to medical school or Grenada or even young people. But it's been a good read and I am pleased that you have successfully completed your goals up to this point. And now that your blog is complete and that you are embarking on the next chapter in your life, let me just join you in saying "Goodbye and good luck"

M said...

DR Ishie....oh that sounds so good! I too have followed you since Annexcafe... I would google your name and there were the updates. Congratulations on Triple Board. Definitely impressive. Congrat's too on the hubby, new job and house. Like the old Virginia Slims commercial.....You've come a long way baby. Glad your name popped into my head last night, to see the conclusion/beginning of your journey's. Sending you light, love & blessings. MaryE

BoaterDave said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Credit loan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
max william said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Buna Treks & Expedition Pvt. Ltd. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
David B. said...

Hi

David is asking for your forgiveness, Ishie.

Will you - please - open up your heart?

D. x